Mobile Device Management
These days we all seem to be glued to our mobile phones and in the work environment they are increasing used as a tool to check email, update social media sites, access customer databases and use a myriad of tools specific to our jobs and the company we work for.
But what about security? It’s now generally understood that mobile phones and laptops, to a lesser extent, represent the main weakness in a business’s cyber security. Essential as they are, without mobile device management (mdm), a business is at risk of importing a virus or cyber threat into the company network.
It used to be common practice for businesses to give staff members a company phone that had rules and restrictions associated but that’s, a) an expensive solution and b) inconvenient to the staff to now carry a business and a personal mobile phone.
So, this is where mobile device management comes in. Staff can continue to use their own phones – this is known as Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) – and we install an application that ring fences all business tools and makes them subject to the business security rules.
Some of the key benefits of Mobile Device Management include:
- Automatic security patches installed
- Security PIN codes required to open the phone
- Remote management of the business tools from a central administrator
- All business software updates can be managed centrally
- Data usage can be controlled – a balance between personal and professional usage
- In the event the device is lost or stolen, everything inside the ring-fence can be wiped
- If the device is recovered, then all the business tools are reinstated
- The location of device (and the staff member) can be tracked if needed
- It works on all makes and model of phone
If your business needs its staff to have a mobile phone or laptop that travels with staff, then mobile device management is a necessary tool for you.
The general cost is only $5 per mobile device or $9.50 per person for as many devices as required.
Need a Nerd partners with TechSafe for all it’s security services, so if you’re interested, please visit www.techsafe.nz for more information or contact Need a Nerd Wellington using the contact sheet on this website.